General Services Administration (GSA) 8(a) STARS III
ShadowBox Consulting Associates, LLC (ShadowBox) is a prime contractor on GSA’s 8(a) Streamlined Technology Acquisition Resource for Services (STARS) III, GSA’s fourth-generation 8(a) Government-Wide Acquisition Contract (GWAC). STARS III is a contract designed to provide federal agencies with innovative IT services-based solutions including sub-award areas which focus on emerging technologies as well as performance Outside the Continental Unites States (OCONUS). The STARS III contract has a ceiling of $50 billion.
GSA 8(a) STARS III Overview
The 8(a) STARS III GWAC, is a Multiple Award, Indefinite-Delivery, Indefinite-Quantity (MA-IDIQ) contract to provide information technology (IT) services and IT services-based solutions to the federal government. It is reserved for 8(a) prime contractors and established under the authority of the Small Business Act.
8(a) STARS III incorporates authority for Ordering Contracting Officers (OCOs) to set aside task orders among the contract holders for various small business types listed in Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) 19.000(a)(3). This provides OCOs the ability to target by set-aside a specific sub-group of the STARS III contract holders for task order award.
The primary North American Industrial Classification System (NAICS) code for the Master Contract is designated as 541512, Computer Systems Design Services. Requirements that align with other IT services NAICS codes are within the scope of the STARS III GWAC. These NAICS codes include, but are not limited to: 541511, 541513, 541519, 518210.
Scope Areas of 8(a) STARS III include:
- Data Management
- Information and Communications Technology
- IT Operations and Maintenance
- IT Security / IT workforce augmentation
- Software Development
- Systems Design
Emerging Technology-Focused IT Services
- Artificial Intelligence (including Machine Learning, Deep Learning/Neural Networks, Natural Language Generation)
- Autonomic Computing
- Blockchain / Distributed Ledger
- Quantum Computing
- Robotic Process Automation
- Technological Convergence
- Virtual Reality (including Augmented Reality, Extended Reality, Mixed Reality)
Benefits of 8(a) STARS III
- Minimizes protest risk for orders under $10 Millions and supports timely order award for optimal mission support
- Enables federal clients to earn 8(a) small business credit
- Saves time and money by reducing procurement lead time
- FAR 16.505 Fair Opportunity process supports best value awards
- Allows for long term planning of large scale program requirements
- Directed task orders up to $4.5 Million, under the competitive threshold per FAR 19.804-6. The rationale at FAR 19.804-2(a)10, (i) or (ii), is germane to directed orders. While some sole source orders are flagged as “high risk,” this is not the case with 8(a) directed orders.
- Offers flexibility of contract types to mitigate risk
- Provides flexibility at the order level and facilitates integrated IT solutions
Contract Number: 47QTCB21D0140
- Information Technology Services (C.1)
- Emerging Technology-Focused IT Services (Scope Sub-Area 1)
GSA STARS III Website:
ShadowBox Consulting Associates, LLC Information:
Key Points of Contact:
8(a) STARS III Program Manager